Macros and Protein Pancakes
Eating a balanced diet is an important part of maintaining or achieving a desired physique. Macronutrients, or “Macros” are an important part of maintaining a balanced diet. Macros are composed of protein, carbohydrates, and fat, and consuming a specific ratio of these nutrients per meal can lead to an overall improved physique. Most individuals that follow a macronutrient based diet concentrate on maintaining 45%-65% carbohydrates, 20–35% from fats, and 10–35% from protein. It is difficult to incorporate this style into one’s diet (especially if they are used to a different style of diet) but once macros are kept in mind while cooking, it can be easy to adhere to the dietary guidelines.
The body needs more carbohydrates as it uses these molecules for energy throughout the day. Proteins help to maintain and rebuild muscle fibers within the body. Fat in the food we consume helps to restore cell growth within the body as well as to help the body to absorb vital nutrients into the bloodstream. Although we consume dozens of nutrients in the food we eat, monitoring these three helps to understand and maintain physical changes in the body through the food being consumed.
Over the course of my life I have experienced a lot of misinformation concerning carbohydrates and fat. These nutrients are often associated with weight gain and can sometimes be falsely blamed for the appearance of excessive body fat. This is not true as your body needs all nutrients from food, including carbs and fat in order to produce energy and properly function. Consuming moderate and balanced amounts of carbs, fat, and protein can lead to weight loss with a caloric deficit. These pancakes are marco friendly, delicious, and easy to make. They consist of minimal ingredients that can be found in most households.
1 scoop Protein Powder (I’ve found that a vanilla or chocolate flavor works best)
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder (optional)
- cinnamon to taste (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- chocolate chips
- sliced banana
- Preheat a pan or griddle to medium/high heat.
- Add ripe banana to a bowl. Mash with a fork. Add protein powder and eggs. Mix again until a smooth batter forms. Finally, add the optional cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Mix.
- Spray pan with nonstick spray. Use a spoon to put the batter onto the pan making 3-4 medium sized pancakes. Cook for a couple minutes per side.
- Once cooked, top with peanut butter, chocolate chips, or any other toppings.